How To Get A Vehicle Title And What Its Used For

A vehicle title is very important especially if you have just purchased the car. If it is a new car without a previous owner, then it is your responsibility to get a car title for it. If there was a previous owner, the title or what is also known as the “pink slip” will be handed on to you by the seller. Whether or not it is a brand new car that you are about to purchase, it is still necessary to learn the basics of getting a car title because you never know when you are going to need this knowledge in the future.

The auto title contains such valuable information that is necessary to pass onto the next owner of the car. It contains the car owner’s name, the address, the name and model of the vehicle, and the year that it was sold. It is usually kept in much secured places in order to ensure its safety. It is what is otherwise known as a proof of ownership.

If you are buying the vehicle from a previous owner, there are certain steps to take in order for the ownership of the vehicle to be passed on to you. For an easy and successful grant of the pink slip, follow these steps to ensure that the vehicle is now legally yours.

The Department of Motor Vehicles in the US is responsible for any actions towards the ownership of any kind of vehicle. You need to know this because when it comes to getting a pink slip for the car you are about to purchase, you will be doing business with them in order to complete the process.

Locate the office of the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state. Some states may not have this, or in cases wherein you cannot seem to find their office, you may go to the local tax department.

The night before you decide to go to the office of that department, you may want to prepare the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin which will be used by the representatives of the department to process your file. Don’t have any ideas where to get this? Ask your dealer and he or she will be the one to provide it to you.

You might want to bring along some information about the previous owner, or what is referred to as the “lien information”. Also make sure that the all signatures of the previous owners are already in the required documents if there are ever documents that need to be signed.

This process does not come free, of course. You are going to have to pay some standard fees for the entire process. When all is completed and you have paid for the services, you may have to wait for up to a month in order for the new pink slip to be given to you, or in most cases, mailed to you and the previous owner. Congratulations, you are now the legal owner of a new car, thanks to the vehicle title.

For more information, visit

For more information, visit


  1. Gabrielle says:

    Oh yeah, fauuolbs stuff there you!

  2. Jack Mulligan says:

    I had some title issues with a car that I wanted to buy with my friend a while back. He lost the title, and I didn’t want to buy the car without it. He never got around to getting a new title, so I never bought the car. Getting a title can be vital to buying or selling a car because it validates the transaction.

  3. Ursula Petzing says:

    Where can I see the new study guide for a driver’s license ?

  4. Shirley Arentz says:

    I have several old vehicles 20 years on my property and would like to dispose of these at a recycling business but must have title. Some may have 15 to 20 year old liens. Can I get some kind of title to get rid of these eye sores?

  5. brent j gordon says:

    sure in the state of oregon because you have these vehicles abandoned on your property you can file your own lien , you can then legally transfer possession one at a time or all at once. im a mechanic (motorcycles) and ofyten people never return to pick them up use your imagination to increase your “equity” in the deserted property. alot of people argue posession is not 9/10 the law but it is barring financing security liens for obvious reasons. have you had to move the cars? chaching. have you ever worried about their safety/security? chaching. have they ever taken up space you could have used to produce income? chahing! you get the idea. this is called devoping property interest. the original owners gave up their propery interest by default (for 20 years). in the state of oregon they are now yours just do a little paperwork. or hire someone to do it for you.

    oh hey i now a guy that may do it for on a contingency 30% and ill be happy to handle all the administrative stuff (paperwork) i would expect help with the physical stuff im 53 retired with a roached back but i can pull my weight! these principles differ a little state to state but really they are universal here in the us.

    brent gordon
    give me a call if you need help!

Speak Your Mind